The first "Rockland" school was built in 1874 with lumber from the mill "across the road" on the north downslope of Genesee Mountain near the Patrick House. Land, building materials, paint and labor were donated by homesteaders. Students, ranging in age from six to 20, walked to school for distances of 1/4 to 4 miles. Children had to do chores at home before walking several miles to school. During the winter, they were bundled in heavy coats, mufflers, mittens, and high boots appropriate for foot plowing through snow drifts while carrying a lunch bucket and books the entire way. Water was hand pumped from outdoor wells or collected in buckets from nearby streams and hauled to the schoolhouse. Wood burning stoves provided heat for warmth and cooking. Read more HERE.